After previously being in trouble academically, St. John’s guard Rysheed Jordan is now officially done at St. John’s, as he has left the program Friday to pursue professional endeavors.
Jordan was expected to be a key contributor for the Red Storm in Chris Mullin’s first year on the job. After all, he was the Red Storm’s leading returning scorer and one of the select few with any major experience on the roster. Nonetheless, Jordan wanted to move on.
More from Zach Braziller of the New York Post:
“Playing professional basketball has always been a goal of mine. I believe I am ready to take the next step in my basketball career and plan to work hard to achieve my dream of playing in the NBA,” Jordan said in a statement. “I am thankful for the opportunities and support St. John’s University has provided to me. This decision was made with my family’s best interests in mind.”
Sources told The Post it was a mutually agreed upon decision between Jordan, the team’s leading returning scorer, and new coach Chris Mullin after Jordan was ruled academically ineligible for the first semester of next season. Jordan could have rejoined the team in December, had he passed all his classes in the summer and fall, but declined to take that route.
This ends a tumultuous chapter in Jordan’s basketball career. He often clashed with ex-St. John’s coach Steve Lavin, while being in and out of his doghouse for most of his time at St. John’s. Jordan is coming off a season in which he averaged 14.1 points (second on the team), 3.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game (tops on the team).