As many anticipated, Notre Dame wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. will be sidelined for the Irish’s game against Nevada on Saturday as a result of concussion-like symptoms.
Bob Montgomery from WSBT News 22 just informed that Torri Hunter JR is out for tomorrow. #NotreDame
— Darin Pritchett (@Sportsbeat960) September 9, 2016
According to Matt Fortuna of ESPN, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly announced Friday during a pep rally that Hunter will in fact be out.
Hunter spoke at the pep rally,too, and said he would be back shortly.
More from WNDU.com:
“As you all know, I took a pretty big shot last week,” Hunter said at the pep rally. “I took a pretty good shot last week. He caught me slipping. He didn’t want to see me face-to-face. He caught me slipping. I’ll be back. I’m working on it. I’m working on coming back. Just like this team, we got knocked down last week but we are glad to be back in front of the greatest fan base in the United States.”
“We are excited to be back at home and play in front of our home fans and whoop some butt [Saturday] and take some names.”
Hunter indeed took a vicious hit in Sunday’s game at Texas. After less than a week of trying to get through protocol, he has been ruled unfit to play.
Prior to getting hit, Hunter recorded four catches for 37 yards and a touchdown. No flags were thrown on the play nor was a review was held, as the Big 12 did not think the hit was targeting.
Hunter, a 6’1”, 195-pound redshirt junior receiver from Prosper, Texas is—of course—the son of ex-MLB star Torii Hunter Sr.. For his career, Hunter has amassed 465 receiving yards and four touchdowns on 39 receptions.
The next time Hunter will have a chance to play will be next Saturday in a crucial game at home against No. 12 Michigan State.